While cleansing oils are great for removing makeup, they are also fabulous for those who do not wear makeup.
Even a makeup-free face gets dirty at the end of the day! The oils act to loosen the dirt from the pores so the water can wash it away.
Begin with a dry, dirty face--there is no need to pre-clean, even if you are wearing makeup.
Always start with dry hands and a dry face. If you wet your hands or face it counteracts "like dissolves like" (oil dissolves oil) concept and leaves your skin feeling oily and not clean.
- Apply about ½ teaspoon of cleansing oil to your face. Avoid your eye area.
- Using your fingers massage firmly, but gently, using small upward circular motions. The gentle massaging action warms the skin, which encourages the pores to open. This allows the cleansing oil to soften, loosen and dissolve makeup, dirt, dead skin, and impurities on your face.
- After a minute or so of massaging allow the oil to remain on your skin to help deep clean pores while you soak a small soft cotton face cloth or washcloth in hot tap water.
- Squeeze out most of the excess water apply the cloth to your whole face and hold it there as a compress for about 10-15 seconds. The heat from the towel will create steam, soften your skin, open your pores, and aid in the removal of dirt, grime, and excess oils.
- Using the corners of the warm wet face cloth slowly begin to gently wipe off the cleansing oil (be sure to have enough water on the cloth to help emulsify the cleansing oil).
Note: At this point, some folks like to use wet hands to massage the face. As you massage with the water the oil will turn a milky white as the oil and water emulsify. If needed wet your hands again with a little more water and massage again.
- Rinse the cloth, and repeat until the oil and dirt are wiped off your skin. If you are removing a lot of makeup do NOT scrub your face, just rinse the cloth and repeat the process several times.
- Unless you scrubbed too hard a thin layer of oil will remain on the skin to help protect and moisturize throughout the day.
- Finish with a cool water splash and pat dry with a clean towel.
To remove lipstick and eye makeup, including mascara, put a couple of drops of oil on a cotton cloth, pad or swab and swipe over lips and eye area. This is a gentle eye makeup remover, but take care not to get it in your eyes.
A facial cleansing oil will dissolve away the dirty oil and makeup from your face and replenish it with clean, nourishing oils.
Depending on the condition of your skin, your skin may go through an “adjustment period” during which you may even see more oily skin or more breakouts as impurities leave the skin. It may take a week or two for your skin to adjust to a new regimen. Please resist the urge to use harsh facial cleansers during this time, as it will make the adjustment period take longer.