Washing your face with oil may sound like the perfect recipe for acne, but natural, organic plant-based oils can be an incredibly effective cleansing agent for any skin type--dry, sensitive, oily, and even acne-prone skin.
For years commercial skincare companies have told us we need to remove the oil from our skin, especially our faces. The problem is that this basically strips the skin of its natural defenses and dries out your facial skin which stimulates increased oil production--which is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
The oil cleansing method is a gentle way to care for the skin naturally. The physical properties of oil gently dissolve and pull away dirt, grime, excess oil, and impurities, then leave the skin softly moisturized.
Our facial cleansing oil is formulated with a blend of organic oils and herbal infused oils that will help balance sebum production and remove makeup as it moisturizes, protects, nourishes, and helps promote soft, smooth, and clear skin. It's an everyday luxury that your beautiful face deserves!
- Gently removes makeup, dirt, and impurities leaving skin feeling clean and balanced
- Sunflower and Jojoba replenish essential vitamins, fatty acids, and lipids
- Castor oil lifts impurities
- Baobab helps moisturize and soothe dry skin and helps combat early signs of aging by reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- An infusion of helichrysum and carrot root helps heal dry skin, heal scarring, and calm inflammation
- Softens, soothes, moisturizes, and hydrates skin for a radiant complexion
Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Castor Bean Oil, Organic Baobab Oil, Organic Carrots, Organic Helichrysum, Organic Sweet Almond Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil
While cleansing oils are great for removing makeup, they are also fabulous for those who do not wear makeup.
Even a makeup-free face gets dirty at the end of the day! The oils act to loosen the dirt from the pores so the water can wash it away.
Begin with a dry, dirty face--there is no need to pre-clean, even if you are wearing makeup.
Always start with dry hands and a dry face. If you wet your hands or face it counteracts "like dissolves like" (oil dissolves oil) concept and leaves your skin feeling oily and not clean.
- Apply about ½ teaspoon of cleansing oil to your face. Avoid your eye area.
- Using your fingers massage firmly, but gently, using small upward circular motions. The gentle massaging action warms the skin, which encourages the pores to open. This allows the cleansing oil to soften, loosen and dissolve makeup, dirt, dead skin, and impurities on your face.
- After a minute or so of massaging allow the oil to remain on your skin to help deep clean pores while you soak a small soft cotton face cloth or washcloth in hot tap water.
- Squeeze out most of the excess water apply the cloth to your whole face and hold it there as a compress for about 10-15 seconds. The heat from the towel will create steam, soften your skin, open your pores, and aid in the removal of dirt, grime, and excess oils.
- Using the corners of the warm wet face cloth slowly begin to gently wipe off the cleansing oil (be sure to have enough water on the cloth to help emulsify the cleansing oil).
Note: At this point, some folks like to use wet hands to massage the face. As you massage with the water the oil will turn a milky white as the oil and water emulsify. If needed wet your hands again with a little more water and massage again.
- Rinse the cloth, and repeat until the oil and dirt are wiped off your skin. If you are removing a lot of makeup do NOT scrub your face, just rinse the cloth and repeat the process several times.
- Unless you scrubbed too hard a thin layer of oil will remain on the skin to help protect and moisturize throughout the day.
- Finish with a cool water splash and pat dry with a clean towel.
To remove lipstick and eye makeup, including mascara, put a couple of drops of oil on a cotton cloth, pad or swab and swipe over lips and eye area. This is a gentle eye makeup remover, but take care not to get it in your eyes.
A facial cleansing oil will dissolve away the dirty oil and makeup from your face and replenish it with clean, nourishing oils.
Depending on the condition of your skin, your skin may go through an “adjustment period” during which you may even see more oily skin or more breakouts as impurities leave the skin. It may take a week or two for your skin to adjust to a new regimen. Please resist the urge to use harsh facial cleansers during this time, as it will make the adjustment period take longer.
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a small family-owned and operated company that began as a hobby born out of a concern about the synthetic ingredients in skincare products and the adverse effects of these ingredients on our skin, our children and our environment.
As a result, we are dedicated to crafting high quality, healthy and effective skin and hair care products made with awesome ingredients.
A product is only as good as the ingredients used to make it.
Our ingredients are USDA certified organic, sustainably produced, cruelty-free and ethically traded.
Every ingredient has a purpose and we will always use the best quality ingredients to make the best safe and effective skincare products available.
All of our recipes are invented, created and manufactured in our facility in Solon, Ohio.
Nothing is outsourced.
We oversee the entire process for every product to ensure maximum freshness, consistency, and perfection.
We do it all ourselves--from start to finish--from our family to yours!
Our mission is a simple one . . .To Harness the Power and Simplicity of Nature® to provide fresh, wholesome, natural products that will nourish the skin and be kind to the planet.