Wrap fresh food, unwrap fresh food. It’s that simple. Abeego food wrap is your low-maintenance kitchen tool to reduce food waste.
Like sharpening your favorite knife or oiling your best cutting board, keeping Abeego in tip-top shape requires a bit of TLC.
Our top two tips for long-lasting Abeego? Wash & buff. Let’s dig in.
While less is more when it comes to washing Abeego, here are some moments when you should give your wraps a good scrub-a-dub-dub (always in COLD water and with eco-friendly soap)
- When you open your fresh box of Abeego & are welcome by the sweet smell of beeswax. Washing your wraps before saving your first food is always a good idea.
- If there is food or juice residue on your Abeego, wash them up to provide a clean slate for your next food.
How do I wash my beeswax foodwraps?
Hand wash in COLD water with biodegradable dish soap for the longest lifespan. Hang to dry, or towel dry for immediate use. If unsoiled, (e.g. it’s been covering a bowl of salad) just rinse and reuse.
Abeego Founder, Toni Desrosiers, gives her Abeego food wrap a polish every month or so - it works out the wrinkles & creates a high sheen with better adhesiveness.
Here are some instances in which you may want to give your Abeego some friction:
- Again, when you pull out a fresh set of Abeego from the store. Give ‘em a quick buff and start your food-saving journey out shiny & fresh!
- If you find 'bloom' on your Abeego. (Hooray - bloom is a great thing!)
Let's talk more about bloom. Does the surface of your Abeego feel extra soft lately? Is it not sticking quite as expected? Perhaps you’ve noticed a light powdery coating on the surface of your wrap? This is beeswax bloom!
Bloom is a sign of high-quality, 100% pure beeswax and is a totally natural occurrence. It refers to the whitish cast that takes over the outside of beeswax products (go ahead, check the candles in your house!) and is simply a matter of the softer oils of the beeswax rising to the outside surface. You know when your chocolate bar gets a similar chalky-looking coating? That’s bloom, too!
All it needs is a good buff and your wrap will be ‘reactivated’ & bloomless.
How do I buff my beeswax foodwraps?
Here’s how to buff your wraps: Place your Abeego on a clean surface, grab a soft & lint-free cloth and give it a vigorous buff. Do this after a cold water wash, not after a heat.
How do I store my beeswax foodwraps?
Once your Abeego is dry, store it in a clean, dry place, like a kitchen drawer until next time. You can roll your Abeego into tubes, fold them nicely, lay them flat, tuck them between cutting boards or put them back into rotation. The choice is yours.
How can I help make my beeswax foodwraps last longer?
- To give Abeego its longest life, keep it away from heat.
- Always wash in COLD water. Don’t over wash.
- Store in a cool, dry place and never use it in the microwave or oven.
- Be sure your dishes and containers have cooled before wrapping your bowls with Abeego.
Well, that’s that. Abeego is easy-to-use and requires minimal maintenance in return for its ability to save food. Perky cilantro for days? Zesty lemons for weeks? It’s possible with Abeego.
Take care of your Abeego and it will take care of the food that takes care of you. It’s the circle of life.